5. Some information on SFU from Bruce Cowan

posted Apr 18, 2011, 11:23 AM by Jeff Ogden   [ updated Apr 18, 2011, 11:29 PM ]
On Apr 18, 2011, at 1:57 PM, Bruce Cowan wrote:

SFU Computing Centre was located on the 1st below ground level

A Snowy Strand Hall at Simon Fraser University
photo by Graham Ballantyne, December 12, 2008,
downloaded from flikr under a Creative Commons
Attributio
n-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.0 Generic license

The organization at SFU was called the Computing Centre. Changed its name to Computing Services somewhere in there but I can’t pin down the timing. The building at the time was just called the Administration Building. We occupied essentially the whole of the first below-ground floor. There was one partial floor lower which had the print shop, but it was 2 stories high (the press was a pretty tall beast) and beside us, not under us. Now the building is called Strand Hall and IT Services still occupies the same space, but what was Computing Services has been broken up into 2 separate entities one of which serves administration and the other academics – IT Services is the academic service part, don’t know what the other part is called.

I’m trying to pin down in my memory when Ross Jewell left and Will Jones became the Director in relation to when we got MTS.

From: Jeff Ogden
Sent: Monday, 18 April 2011 11:05
To: Bruce Cowan
Subject: Re: a message from your past (MTS)

Thanks again.

I remember the name Will Jones and I don't remember Ross Jewell.  Not sure if that helps or that I just have a poor memory for things that took place over 30 years ago.

    -Jeff

On Apr 18, 2011, at 2:16 PM, Bruce Cowan wrote:

But Ross left right around 1976, because I looked up when Wang Laboratories made its big splash with its word processors – June 1976 – and Ross left to form a company very soon thereafter, thinking he’d somehow make his fortune with those beasts (he didn’t). So, he may have still been director when I went to the workshop, but Will would have been director when we actually got MTS. Unfortunately can’t check with any of those people because I’ve long since lost track of Ross and both Art and Will are long since deceased, both dying rather young, Art still in his 50s and Will in his 60s, and both of heart attacks.

Bruce
Comments