2.2 Sad news of John Lindley's passing (DUR)

posted Dec 16, 2013, 6:49 AM by Jeff Ogden   [ updated Oct 5, 2014, 7:11 AM ]
Photo of four former ITS Directors
John Lindley at the lower right, with
Iain Stinson, Lesley Beddie,  and
Jackie Bettess in October 2004

Subject:    Very sad news
Date:        Wed, 03 Jul 2013 09:26:29 +0100

Dear friends of John,

It is with great sadness that we write to you to inform you of the death of John Lindley [former director of the computer service at Durham University in the days of MTS].  He passed away peacefully after a short illness on Wednesday 26th June. We apologise if we have not managed to contact you before now and that this is the first you have heard, but we as a family are absolutely devastated.

We wish to pass on the arrangements for John's funeral and thanksgiving service which will be held on Friday 12th July and please know that you are all welcome.

There will be a short committal service at 2pm in St. Bede's Chapel, Teesside Crematorium, Acklam Road, Middlesbrough, TS5 7HD.  Following that we will be holding a service of thanksgiving for John's life at 3pm in Nunthorpe Methodist Church, Connaught Road, Nunthorpe, Middlesbrough, TS7 0AN.  After the service please join us for afternoon tea in the church hall.

Traditional black is not necessary.  In lieu of flowers, donations in John's name can be made towards a charity to be decided in due course.  If you wish to donate this can be done at church or direct to Hilda House, Funeral Directors, Dalby Way, Parkway Centre, Coulby Newham, Middlesbrough, TS8 0TW.  (01642 596600)

With best wishes,

Beryl, Bridget and Sarah.

From: Tony Young
Subject: John Lindley Funeral
Date: July 14, 2013 10:28:17 AM EDT
To: Gavin Eadie

Gavin,

I did get a brief opportunity to mention your note and sympathy to John's wife, Beryl, and also to the small band of (mostly ex-) computing colleagues who came to the funeral. Actually there were 2 services, a short committal service at the Crematorium and then a longer thanksgiving service with a capacity congregation at his large modern local Methodist Church (John was apparently connected with many local institutions), with 'tea' after and opportunity to meet old friends and colleagues.

Several of the old colleagues who were there will have joined after you left Durham, but some (eg Mike Ellison) you may have met at later Workshops. I only went to the latter thanksgiving service so didn't see see Brian Jones (ex-N'cle), Mike Ellison, and Roger Gawley who only went to the Crematorium service. Elizabeth Barraclough made the 2hr drive over from the Lake District to attend, and others there who you may or may not remember/know were, Dave Thornton, Bob Williams, Clive Bowery, Barbara Smith, Cathy Thompson (who you may remember as Catherine Venters, the tall Physics research assistant who used the 1130 and the 360/67 a lot) and Josephine Coleman (wife of Maths lecturer John Coleman, who in your time was one of the part-time advisers for the Computer Science undergraduate practical sessions).  A very pleasant ending to a very sad occasion!

I only managed a very brief chat to Beryl but understand that the otherwise very fit John had felt unwell, and had gone to GP only for tests to quickly show that he had advanced cancer in stomach which had spread; he died only a few weeks later.

Hope all is well with you - good to hear from you again.
Tony

Here is a link to John's obituary in the September to November issue of the Memo, a newsletter of the Middlesbrough & Eston Methodist Church.

Here is a link to a 15 March 2013 article / speech by John "On the Occasion of the 200th Anniversary of the Birth of Dr John Snow" which also happens to give a bit of John's own history.

Comments