2.1: Ralph Sayle (UBC) – another farewell ... (September 1993)

posted May 3, 2014, 2:53 PM by Jeff Ogden   [ updated May 3, 2014, 3:00 PM ]
From: Ralph Sayle
Date: Fri, Sep 3, 1993 at 4:38 PM
Subject: another farewell...
To: icsstaff, community

In about 2 weeks, it'll be 25 years since someone said to me, "Okay, you
start work this afternoon." So now might be an appropriate time to announce
I'll be spending part of the next 25 years at UBC's Faculty of Applied
Science, right next door to John Hogg. My new job description includes the
words "Systems Analyst -- Educational Software".

Holidays will intrude from now until the new job starts, October 18. Since
our new offices are being built, I'll probably continue working out of my
UCS office till December.

I told someone recently that there were many intense exhausting weeks,
months and years in that quarter decade but when I look back I recall the
sheer brilliance and dedication of the folks I worked closely with. I am
eternally grateful to those brilliant people who made work easier, perhaps
even a joy: Mark DuMont, Jeff Berryman and Alan Ballard to name just 3 of
them. The camaraderie of the Systems Group has been a long sustaining
relationship. I too have met "friends for life" here; my friends are
remarkable and numerous.

I have had a outstanding relationship with dozens of people out there in
the old MTS Community. I can never ever explain to an outsider what an
incredible thing came out of the work done by Don Boettner and Mike
Alexander starting in 1966. Elizabeth, Denis, Lynn, Ron, Malcolm, Roger,
Brian, Garance, Mike, Gavin, Scott, Liz, Steve, Garry, Maureen, Deb, Eric,
Margaret, Peter, Frances, Peter, and all the names in between, made work
better. Thanks, folks...!

And here's to those I met along the way who never made it this far: Milt
Nelson, Gord Miller and Bob Husak. They remind me there's more to life than
work. I often think of them...!
Comments