Note from Phil Budne

posted Oct 16, 2013, 7:45 AM by Jeff Ogden
From: Phil Budne
Subject: [snobol] SNOBOL4B -- SNOBOL4 with BLOCKS!!
Date: October 11, 2013 7:38:15 PM EDT

Thanks to Mike Alexander, who found out I was looking for SNOBOL4B,
and had it all along in the UMich MTS distribution, I now have an
_almost_ working version of CSNOBOL4 with James Gimpel (of SITBOL and
"Orange Book" fame) with the BLOCKS extension.

I'm not sure when I'll have it all working, and in a formal release,
so I thought I'd let the brave and industrious know about it, and how
to get it.

You can pull it from a branch in my CVS repository:

  cvs -d login
(enter anonymous for "CVS Password:")
  cvs -d co snobol4

Thereafter, running "cvs update" in the snobol4 directory will update
to the latest files checked into the branch.

BLOCKS are currently an optional feature and must be configured in:
     ./configure --with-blocks

You'll need an installed snobol4 binary to turn the SIL code into C.

The test suite contains some simple programs.  I'm getting unexpected
results from the one complex program I have in source.

There is a manual (and the SNOSTORM preprocessor I bootstrapped, not
knowing it was ALSO living in the MTS archives) at:

(pages 153-196 of the PDF file cover "SNOBOL4 BLOCKS")