Discussions‎ > ‎

SNOBOL4B - SNOBOL4 with BLOCKS

From: Mike Alexander
Subject: Fwd: [snobol] SNOBOL4B -- SNOBOL4 with BLOCKS!!
Date: October 16, 2013 9:56:56 AM EDT
To: Jeff Ogden, Gavin Eadie, Tom Valerio

Here's another example of something not directly related to MTS that was preserved in the distributions and (apparently) nowhere else.  I think we've done as much good by preserving stuff like this as by preserving MTS itself.  In this case there was a file missing from D6 and I had to go back to D2 or D3 to get it (Blocks hadn't changed in a long time).  This message [from Phil Budne below] generated a lot of interest and a later message mentions that Jim Gimpel (who I think was the author of Blocks) was surprised and pleased that we still had the source since he didn't.

                 Mike

Note from Phil Budne

posted Oct 16, 2013, 7:45 AM by Jeff Ogden

From: Phil Budne
Subject: [snobol] SNOBOL4B -- SNOBOL4 with BLOCKS!!
Date: October 11, 2013 7:38:15 PM EDT
To: snobol@yahoogroups.com

Thanks to Mike Alexander, who found out I was looking for SNOBOL4B,
and had it all along in the UMich MTS distribution, I now have an
_almost_ working version of CSNOBOL4 with James Gimpel (of SITBOL and
"Orange Book" fame) with the BLOCKS extension.

I'm not sure when I'll have it all working, and in a formal release,
so I thought I'd let the brave and industrious know about it, and how
to get it.

You can pull it from a branch in my CVS repository:

  cvs -d :pserver:anonymous@cvs.snobol4.org:2401/home/cvs login
(enter anonymous for "CVS Password:")
  cvs -d :pserver:anonymous@cvs.snobol4.org:2401/home/cvs co snobol4

Thereafter, running "cvs update" in the snobol4 directory will update
to the latest files checked into the branch.

BLOCKS are currently an optional feature and must be configured in:
     ./configure --with-blocks
     make

You'll need an installed snobol4 binary to turn the SIL code into C.

The test suite contains some simple programs.  I'm getting unexpected
results from the one complex program I have in source.

There is a manual (and the SNOSTORM preprocessor I bootstrapped, not
knowing it was ALSO living in the MTS archives) at:

http://bitsavers.trailing-edge.com/pdf/univOfMichigan/mts/volumes/MTSVol09-SNOBOLInMTS-May1984.pdf

(pages 153-196 of the PDF file cover "SNOBOL4 BLOCKS")

1-1 of 1