For *GPSSH and *GPSSH2 from Jim Henriksen

posted Jan 31, 2012, 7:56 AM by Jeff Ogden
On 1/31/2012 9:00 AM, Jeff Ogden wrote:
Hi Jim.

As you probably saw in a recent note, we have a version of MTS from 1988 that runs under the Hercules S/370 Emulator and are working to get a 1996 version going.

*GPSSH and *GPSSH2 were never included in the regular MTS distributions. Assuming that we still have copies somewhere, would it be OK if we were to include object code versions in the resurrected versions MTS that we are creating and making publicly available? Your copyright would remain and use would be restricted to use with MTS.

   -Jeff

From: Jim Henriksen
Subject: Re: GPSSH and MTS
Date: January 31, 2012 10:01:21 AM EST
To: Jeff Ogden

Dear Jeff,

Please feel free to do so.  The mainframe versions of GPSS/H have been dead for a long time.  We still occasionally sell copies of GPSS/H.  People sometimes ask why we still sell copies of that old clunker.  The answer is simple: people still keep buying it.  As was the case with the British empire, the sun never sets on GPSS/H.  However, quite a while ago, we went back to the drawing board and built a new simulation platform called SLX, which was built based on 20 years' experience with GPSS/H.  All our support and development energy goes into SLX and our 2D and 3D simulation-oriented animation software.

I have really enjoyed reading the information about MTS that's now available on the web.  Congratulations on a job well done, and many thanks for your efforts!

The greatest lesson I learned from my experience at the Computing Center is that scarcity of resources frequently /improves/ software, because developers are keenly aware that they can't do everything, and that they have to get the most out of the resources they do have.  MTS is a stunning example of a great system built by an extremely small team of people.  In that regard, it's a high-water mark for a whole lot of folks.

When I started Wolverine Software, my goal was to create a Computing Center-like environment in which developers could do the right things and thrive, while making a profit.  That was 36 years ago.  And the beat goes on.

Regards,
Jim

Comments