Discussions‎ > ‎MTS Today ?‎ > ‎

#6: MTS running on a Raspberry Pi

posted Dec 11, 2012, 1:18 PM by Jeff Ogden   [ updated Dec 11, 2012, 1:41 PM ]
On December 8th and 11th 2012 Richard Chycoski posted two items to the H390-MTS e-mail group.

From: "u4gh" [Richard Chycoski]
Subject: [H390-MTS] MTS in my pocket!
Date: December 8, 2012 4:40:21 PM EST
To: H390-MTS@yahoogroups.com

Using Hercules and the Raspbian release of Linux, I have MTS running on a Raspberry Pi: <http://www.raspberrypi.org/faqs>.

It takes about 20 minutes to IPL and wait for the *NAL tasks to complete. I don't recall exactly how long MTS took to IPL on our first 370/148, but it was in the same ballpark (maybe ten minutes?). The Pi that I ran it on is also my household DNS/DHCP/IMAP/Sendmail server, but those processes were pretty quiet at the time. Top shows about 30% CPU when MTS is idle.

I have several Pis now, and am making one 'portable'. Who woulda thought we could have MTS literally in our pocket, running for several hours on 4 AA cells? :-)

--- In H390-MTS@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Ogden wrote:

Pretty cool! Any chance I can talk you into taking a photo or two?

 -Jeff

From: "u4gh"
Subject: [H390-MTS] Re: MTS in my pocket!
Date: December 11, 2012 12:45:55 PM EST
To: H390-MTS@yahoogroups.com

Sure, Jeff - I've uploaded a picture of my WiFi-enabled Raspberry Pi to the photos section of the group, and a screen shot from my iPhone which is connected to the Pi via SSH and VNC. Not only does the data centre fit in my pocket, but the 3278 does too. :-)

I copied my MTS/Hercules install to this Pi. It is plugged in to a wall-wart, I need to solder up a cable to power it from four AA cells. On an 8 GB SD card for 'disk', I have about 4.7 GB free.

The Pi as seen here with all of it's attachments (SD memory card and WiFi dongle) is 2.5 x 5 inches in size. It idles at about 3.5 watts and maxes out at 5 watts. I'm getting a small video display to attach to the analog video output, and I have a wireless keyboard/trackpad to make for a complete, standalone system. When I get the whole thing together I'll send in another picture.

- Richard [Chycoski]

Photo of an IPhone with the MTS signon screen

Photo of a Raspberry Pi running MTS under Hercules under Linux

Comments