x'11' (17). Bernie Galler at IBM

posted Dec 24, 2011, 6:17 AM by Jeff Ogden   [ updated Jan 21, 2016, 7:06 AM ]
From the CCTalk (Classic Computers) list: https://web.archive.org/web/20141007014552/http://www.classiccmp.org/pipermail/cctalk/2011-December/122589.html

Lyle Bickley lbickley at bickleywest.com
Fri Dec 23 10:12:17 CST 2011
On Thursday 22 December 2011, Al Kossow wrote:
> On 12/22/11 2:21 PM, Al Kossow wrote:
> > the sources and binaries for MTS are now available under
> > http://bitsavers.org/bits/UniversityOfMichigan/mts/
> >

> I fixed the line wrap on the readme and copyright files, and noticed the
> path was specified, so I had to move it to
> http://bitsavers.org/bits/univOfMichigan/mts/

This is great news! While I was working at IBM's Poughkeepsie Dev. Lab. in
the 60's and early 70's, Bernard Galler (U of M) used to be a regular guest
at the Lab. He lectured us on the MAD programming language and, of course,
"The Michigan Terminal System" (MTS). His lectures ranged from the internals
to the practical uses of MTS. He was very critical of IBM's lack of direction with regards to time
sharing - and hence tried to "convert" as many of us development folks as
possible into becoming timeshare advocates! After months of attending his
lectures - he would get huge ovations when he would chastise IBM for not
moving in the direction of "real" time sharing ;-) According to Wikipedia, MTS "still runs using IBM S/370 emulators such as
Hercules, Sim390, and FLEX-ES". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michigan_Terminal_System I'll certainly give a shot at getting it running :-) Cheers, Lyle -- Lyle Bickley, AF6WS Bickley Consulting West Inc. http://bickleywest.com "Black holes are where God is dividing by zero"
Comments