Discussions‎ > ‎E-mail archive‎ > ‎

#2: September 13, 2010: MTS Wikipedia article and new archive.michigan-terminal-system.org Web site

posted Jan 2, 2011, 7:33 PM by Jeff Ogden   [ updated Jan 2, 2011, 7:37 PM ]
From: Jeff Ogden
Date: September 13, 2010 2:48:16 PM EDT
Subject: MTS Wikipedia article and new archive.michigan-terminal-system.org Web site

My thanks to those of you who sent me materials, comments, and suggestions about the updated Wikipedia article on MTS, http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Michigan_Terminal_System. I updated the Wikipedia article accordingly.

I received or uncovered so much information that I couldn't include it all in the Wikipedia article. With some help from Gavin and Mike, I created a new web site, archive.michigan-terminal-system.org, to hold the information until we can find better or more permanent homes for it all.

Mike has created PDFs for all of the MTS Volumes and a number of other interesting documents. They are available from the new Web site. There are some photographs of people and hardware. There is a video with Bernie Galler teaching folks the "Basic Use of MTS" on a Model 33 teletype. I'll add the videos on how to use a Model 029 Keypunch soon. There is a video, photographs, and a PDF of the  memory book from the September 2004 reception held at UM to honor Robert Bartels. There is an expanded MTS bibliography with links to online material when it exists. There is a list of links to other, less formal, materials.  There are discussion items where you can enter stories, questions, and answers to other people's questions or help us all refresh our collective memory about events from 15 to 43 years ago. There is a list of "Myths and misconceptions".

Anyone can view the MTS Archive web site.  Only registered users can add or edit material on the site, but anyone can register (details are available on the site's Welcome page). I really hope that many of you will register and add material, in particular stories, photographs, and items for the bibliography. If you don't want to register, feel free to send material to me (jeff.ogden@umich.edu) ) and I will post it.

Feel free to pass this note on to others who may be interested.

If you don't want to be bothered with this sort of e-mail in the future, just let me know and I promise to stop sending it.

Thanks,

  -Jeff  (W163)
Comments