6. A footnote from VM AND THE VM COMMUNITY: Past, Present, and Future by Melinda Varian, April 1991

posted Apr 25, 2014, 6:46 AM by Jeff Ogden
Footnote 33 from VM AND THE VM COMMUNITY: Past, Present, and Future by Melinda Varian, April 1991, page 26

33 “Lincoln had a role in the design of the time-sharing machine. I have a copy of IBM’s
response to Lincoln’s Request for Quotation, which specified a Model 66. This machine was
later to become the 360/67, but I don’t know why the model number changed. A group of six
sites (Lincoln Lab, University of Michigan, Carnegie University, Bell Labs, General Motors,
and Union Carbide, I believe) had a non-disclosure agreement for the development of the
360/66. This group was called the ‘Inner Six’. At one meeting in Yorktown Heights, we met
with IBM people to discuss relocation hardware. We discussed whether an address should be
31 or 32 bits. We eventually voted and recommended 31 bits. We also discussed the design
of the relocation register and had some heated discussions with the IBM team. The Inner Six
met with IBM representatives behind closed doors at a SHARE meeting. We six sites
discussed various features of TSS and made recommendations to IBM. This was the
beginning of the SHARE TSS Project.” (J.M. Winett, private communication, 1990.)
Comments