x'13' (19) The search for the lost Cray supercomputer OS

posted Jan 15, 2014, 9:08 AM by Jeff Ogden   [ updated Jun 1, 2014, 8:03 PM ]
a 1/10 scale model of a Cray-1
A desktop CRAY-1: 1/10 scale model
powered by a Spartan 3E-1600

John Hogg passed along the following comment after reading the article "The search for the lost Cray supercomputer OS" by Signe Brewster on GIGAOM:

From: John Hogg
Subject: Resurrecting Cray OS
Date: January 14, 2014 7:32:09 PM EST
To: Mike Alexander, Jeff Ogden

Looks like MTS has been much better preserved than Cray OS.

The search for the lost Cray supercomputer OS

From: Mike Alexander
Subject: Re: Resurrecting Cray OS
Date: January 15, 2014 12:55:47 AM EST
To: John Hogg, Jeff Ogden

Yes, indeed.  In the process we've preserved more than just MTS.  We've been able to give source back to the people who wrote it a couple of times because it was in the MTS distributions even though they lost it themselves.

I was in the Science Museum in London recently and had a chance to sit on a Cray 1.  They have only (or mostly) just the CPU, but it looks fairly complete.  It's still an impressive machine even if it is slow by modern standards.

         Mike

Comments